Most people know how to protect the heart, but do you know how to care for your kidneys? The kidneys' job is to help remove various toxins (drugs and food wastes), and expel them through the urine.
As we grow older, our kidneys will also start to age. A problem with kidney disease is that majority of patients have no warning symptoms.
Some time ago, we interviewed Dr. Elizabeth Montemayor, a nephrologist at the General Hospital. Here are 10 ways to protect your kidneys:
1. Limit your salt intake --
2. Don't load up on high protein foods such as meat and steaks --
3. Keep your blood pressure at 130/80 or lower --
4. Keep your blood sugar below 120 mg/dl --
5. Drink 8 glasses of water a day --
6. Watch your intake of pain relievers and other drugs -
8. Don't drink too much Vitamin C --
9. Don't rely on food supplements to protect your kidneys --